Thursday, January 6, 2011

Abraham Lincoln

I have become a student of The Civil War during the last few years.  It is a time period that fascinates me.  The biggest reason it began was not slavery but that certainly became the foremost reason it continued to be fought.  I find it inconceivable that family members were so divided in their beliefs that they fought each other.  How did they shoot at and possibly kill their own parent(s) or sibling(s)? 

I've been reading and studying all that I can about this amazing time in history.  I think I have enough books to fill a small library.  Many of them are books filled with photographs.  While military photography existed before, this was the first war to be photographed extensively.  The photographic history of The Civil War is sad but incredible to study.  I sometimes try to picture how I would have felt if I had lived then.  What would it have been like to see the daily carnage and destruction in those photos?  Or, what would it have been like to be the photographers who took photos of horrific things like maimed, dying, and dead soldiers on a battlefield?

I am also intrigued by Abraham Lincoln.  His climb to the Presidency is an interesting journey.  His choices for cabinet members, his decision making, his dedication to his country and his soldiers, and his leadership skills were incredible and helped the Union win the war.  It is hard for me to imagine and understand the utmost hatred for this man.  Hatred that led to his assassination.  I don’t have nearly as many books about him but am looking forward to reading more.

I recently read a quote by him that I think is really poignant right now regarding our current political environment here in the US.

Abraham Lincoln said: "America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

I'm not about to start a political blog but I do have very bad feelings about our current "leadership" and the direction it is taking us.  I believe that our current Government IS destroying us from within and we are losing freedoms.  I hope the new Congress brings some changes.  I also hope that in the 2012 elections voters oust the political "leaders" that need to be gone.

I’ll keep studying and hope that others do the same; especially studying what’s currently happening in and what’s going to happen in the US.