Monday, March 5, 2012

Don't you look handsome?

I was at a pet supply store a while ago and witnessed something I found interesting.

I have a cat and I talk to her.  I’m guessing everyone with a pet talks to them.  Every morning when I leave for work, I tell Abbey to “be a good girl” and “I’ll see you later when I get home from work.”  That sets a routine for your pets to expect you to return every day.

I also ask her when I get home, “Where you a good kitty today?”  Or, “You didn’t cause any trouble today did you Abbey?”

If we have a windowsill filled with birds, I’ll call to her, “Abbey you better check the window, those birds look yummy!"  Don't call PETA on me.  She's not allowed outside and eating birds is only a dream of hers.

I obviously don’t get any "human" answers that consist of actual words (and I certainly don't expect any!) but she loves to talk.  She meows constantly and when you talk to her, she always answers.

I’ve never felt that I got too carried away with this.  I know it for a fact now after what I saw at the pet supply store.

I was shopping for some new canned cat food.  It was taking me quite a while as I was reading all the labels and searching for holistic foods with natural ingredients and good flavors.

Nearby was the isle with pet “clothes.”  They have a large assortment of sweaters and coats, including rain gear.  There are some biker outfits with faux leather vests and pants (maybe chaps?).  They even have tutus and dresses for the gals.  Halloween brings out all the cute costumes as well.

A woman was in that isle taking different outfits out of the packages and putting them onto her little dog.  He was small and fluffy.  Some sort of yappy type dog (maybe a Shih Tzu or a Pomeranian?).  Now, yappy dog owners do not take any offense.  We all have the perfect pet.  It those dogs are yours, great! 

She’d put something on the dog and say, “Well, don’t you look handsome?”  That's pretty normal and even I’d say that!  That’s an observation by us pet owners that does not require an answer.  My Abbey is beautiful and I tell her things like that all the time.

You don't have to tell me; I know I'm gorgeous!

After the handsome comment, what I found interesting was how she continued talking to her dog during this process to find an the perfect outfit. 

Here’s what I heard and what I think the dog would have said if he could have.

LADY WITH SMALL, YAPPY DOG:  Would you rather have the black vest or the brown vest?

YAPPY DOG THAT CAN’T REALLY SPEAK:  They are both neutral lady; you can pick one!

LWSYD:  Do you think that’s too frilly for you?

YDTCRS:  Anything frilly is not appropriate for a male dog.  How's about some more leather stuff instead?

LWSYD:  Is that too tight?  Should we try a bigger size?

YDTCRS:  Take a close look.  If I have a muffin top or my “junk” is being squeezed, it’s too tight.  I think you can figure this out without my input.

LWSYD:  Should we get you a coat?  This winter could be cold.

YDTCRS:  I have fur!  Long, fluffy fur!  That's a coat isn't it?

LWSYD:  I know you’d look a little silly but the tutus are cute!  What do you think?

YDTCRS:  If you buy me a tutu, I’m running away to find a new owner.  Stop the madness!


When I found the food I wanted to buy, she was still there chatting with her dog.  I felt a little “dirty” listening in on their conversation so I left.

I still wonder what sort of outfits he ended up with.  Was he happy with them?

No comments: