Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Things that make me feel old.

I’m in my mid-40s.  I’m proud that I made it this far.  Since I’m in a happy place with my life, I’d like to make it at least as many more years.  I don’t consider myself old.  Old to me is when you are in your 90s.  When I hit that time in my life, I’ll think old is when you are 150.

Notwithstanding, there are things that make me FEEL old:

  • Seeing the “you must be born on this date in 1990” calendars in bars.  Yikes!  You have to be born in 1990 to buy booze?  I had graduated college by then (and was already old enough to drink).  Damn.
  • My calling CDs “albums.”  I always say, out of habit, “I love that new album by Bryan Adams.”  While vinyl albums are still produced, it seems that only collectors buy them.  I guess those fancy CDs are the new-fangled thing out today.
  • Hearing songs that were popular when I was in high school on the Classic Rock station.  Classic Rock?  Isn’t that stuff like The Beatles, The Who, or The Rolling Stones?  You know, stuff that was made before I was born by artists that are older than dirt now.
  • Seeing my oldest nieces become “adults.”  They turned 22, 19, and 17 this year.  How the hell did this happen?  The 22 year old was 2 when I got married.  The 19 year old was still in mommy’s tummy.  Slow the hell down you guys!
  • Saying “those darn kids” about those darn kids who are hanging out in malls, in my neighborhood, etc.  We were at a local mall a while ago and some kids were shouting and pushing and shoving each other.  I said to Angry, “Those darn kids don’t know how to behave in public these days.”  Whoops, maybe I AM old?
  • Having hot flashes.  They suck.  That’s all I need to say about that.
  • Having to go to bed early.  I can remember staying up past 2 am several nights a week (if not every night).  I’d be able to get up and go to work the next day and feel just fine.  Now, I’m lucky if I can stay up past 9 pm and not feel like crap at work.  Hope I’m not missing too much!

I just threw this list together. I’m sure I could come up with a lot more stuff if I really thought about it. Maybe my mind isn’t working too well today. Isn’t that what “they” say? Something to the effect of, the mind is the first thing to go when you get old.  Hmmm. . .

4 comments:

Ricki said...

People younger than me calling me ma'm. That is when you can actually find a polite person to wait on you. Crap! I'm destined to being a ma'm the rest of my days.

Liz said...

Ricki - I forgot about that one! Yes, I feel very old when that happens. I've joked with some people saying either "Who you calling Ma'm?" or "I'm not your Ma'm!" It usually gets a laugh.

Nicole said...

Worse than hearing your music on the Classic station is hearing it on the grocery store station. I died a little inside when I heard Billy Squier and Rush in the grocery store.

Liz said...

Nicole - I try really hard to ignore the "music" in the grocery store. Now that you've pointed that out, I'll listen! Ruch and Billy Squire? Bummer!